A special quality of Caliber L921, also known as the Sax-0-Mat, is a zero-reset role for those moments — thus the “0” at “Sax-0-Mat.” The tiny seconds hand automatically contributes to the zero position when the crown is pulled out, for to-the-second time setting. “Sax-0-Mat” appears on the Cable and dial. The grade, that was hand-wound, 30.6 millimeters in diameter and 7.5 mm thick, was four years in evolution, and included a flyback function.Its unconventional features include another bridge for its fourth wheel, a chronograph operating lever mounted between 2 bearings, a flexible coupling lever positioned at the center of the fourth wheel, plus a minute-counter-operating lever mounted involving jewels. There is also a stepped pinion for accurate minute-counter advances, an escape wheel with four jewels, a massive Glucydur screw balance along with a Breguet balance spring. The balance oscillates in the classic frequency of 18,000 vph. The grade also supports Lange’s recognizable outsize date, to which the prefix “Dato” alludes.
Lange opened its first point of sale in September 2007, directly adjacent to the Dresden Frauenkirche, a landmark of the baroque city. This is where Ferdinand Adolph Lange worked as a watchmaker before he moved to Glashütte in 1845, to his newly established manufactory. Additionally, the inauguration signalled a foray into new international markets. Just a few months later, the doors of the second brand embassy opened in Shanghai. Meanwhile, there are 17 Lange boutiques in the world’s most vibrant cities.
The special model of the 1815 in a 38.5-millimetre white- or pink-gold case also stands for tradition and transition. At first sight, it is a classic 1815 with a well-organised dial, subsidiary seconds, and blued steel hands reminiscent of the design of historic pocket watches. The numerous artisanal details comprise the decorative ribbing of the three-quarter plate made of untreated German silver, the gold chatons secured with thermally blued screws, the classic screw balance and the hand-engraved balance cock with the whiplash spring. The movement is Lange manufacture calibre L051.1, manually wound, offering a 55-hour power reserve.
1815 is Ferdinand Adolph Lange’s birth year. It pays tribute to the visionary founder as does the engraved hinged cover in solid gold, another hallmark of historic pocket watches. Originally, the dust cover – referred to as a cuvette – served to protect the movement. In the era of water-resistant sapphire-crystal casebacks that reveal artistically finished movements, it has a new aesthetic purpose with the freehand engraving of the Dresden Frauenkirche. Destroyed in the war and reinaugurated on 30 October 2005, the principal oeuvre of Saxon architect George Bähr now stands for a new beginning as a symbol of peace and reconciliation.
The new white- and pink-gold versions of the 1815 come in two limited editions of ten watches each.